Day Twenty Seven
Today I am going to continue on the
theme of educational technology that I started yesterday. This is partly out of frustration that at
times borders on despair. You see there
are a lot of start-ups and entrepreneurs who want to partner with universities
to give their products either content, credibly or both. Sometimes these are really good ideas, but
more often, they are not. In Finland they
are encouraged in this by the government who thinks that small startups and coding
apps are going to be the saviors of the Finnish economy. I hope they are, but I doubt it.
Why do I think that you may
wonder? Well to use a
single example – at its peak Kodak employed around 145,000 people and many more
in the supply chain and through retailers. The
owners, the Eastman family, did become wealthy but a large number of middle
class employed by them over many years also saw an improvements in their
standard of living. Now let us think
about another photo company, Instagram – started by just 15 people in 2010 and sold
two years later for than $1 billion to Facebook. Facebook itself has only around 5000 or so
employees and a few of these are very wealthy.
My belief is that these starts ups by and large will not provide large scale
employment or growth for the middle class.
At best a small number of people will get very rich when they sell the
company after a couple of years, but most of them will fail.
I think in Finland many are guided or attracted towards education as that is still being seen as the great product that
Finland has to export to the world after the demise of Nokia. This
is not without reason and it is true that Finnish education is still a strong
brand and the education system does have much to commend it, it is really very
good. Let me clearly state that I am in favour of new technologies that really do enhance learning or help either a teacher or a student in the education process. What we do not need is another platform, for storing PowerPoint and video files and other content.
But the trouble with so many of
these startups, the thing that really does make me ‘facepalm’, is that what they toute themselves as educational solutions. But a solution to
what? What exactly are they a solution for? If you ask that question it will often lead to the now boring
and familiar ‘education is broken’ or 'education is in crisis' narrative.
Really? Is is not perfect, it needs improvement and always will - but....?
Well of course they see education as broken, after all the only way that they can sell a solution is if we all buy the narrative that it is broken. Look, there are many writers much better than me that have written about this including, but not limited to, Martin Weller and Audrey Watters at Hack Education.
Well of course they see education as broken, after all the only way that they can sell a solution is if we all buy the narrative that it is broken. Look, there are many writers much better than me that have written about this including, but not limited to, Martin Weller and Audrey Watters at Hack Education.
As to STEM and Coding, well again I am afraid I am something of a cynic. Sure if a child has an
interest in coding, let them code, teach some coding to everyone if you
must. Same with STEM (Science,
Technology, Engineering and Math) - but please let us not pretend that these
offer a solution to the economic stagnation faced globally, for they do
not. If we all code, it will still only be the
best coders that get employed and anyway, very soon AI will be probably be able to write code better
than most humans. As for government initiatives to code, they are a joke, with thanks to Donald Clark.
I will encourage my own daughters to
learn STEM subjects and to code, but no more than I will encourage them to
learn to dance, sing and play music and learn languages, write, draw and paint and play – just play. I do not believe that everyone learning these
skills is going to save the global economy or the world. It is
a false narrative that we are being sold by those with a vested interest in us
buying it. Think about it – do you
really see giant coding factories with people sitting at PCs writing computer
code? For what?
As we see more and more jobs lost to technology, eventually we have to ask the question "Where will demand come from for all the products being produced?" Few will have the disposable income to be both willing and able to buy anything. So we are currently in a crazy situation that in our race to reduce costs on the supply side (by reducing those pesky expensive, unionised humans, who want holidays and need to sleep), we must eventually reach a point where those same humans can no longer purchase the products produced.
As we see more and more jobs lost to technology, eventually we have to ask the question "Where will demand come from for all the products being produced?" Few will have the disposable income to be both willing and able to buy anything. So we are currently in a crazy situation that in our race to reduce costs on the supply side (by reducing those pesky expensive, unionised humans, who want holidays and need to sleep), we must eventually reach a point where those same humans can no longer purchase the products produced.
I have written about narrative previously and STEM is another narrative that we are being fed that on the face of it makes sense. Who would argue at first glance on the need for more science, technology and engineers? It is 2016, it is the information age after all. People need these skills to go and work at Apple and Google and Microsoft, right? Wrong actually. Much of the real employment for those companies that actually still need human resources are in countries with significanly lower labour costs and few employment protection and environmental laws. Having more STEM graduates will not change that unless these graduates are also willing to work 12 hour days and 6 day weeks for sums below minimum wage and pour toxins into the countryside.
![]() |
| https://www.flickr.com/photos/jurvetson/52581560 |
Look, I am not a Luddite, I like technology and I use it all the time. I am not suggesting we uninvent even if we could. What I am saying is be more critical of the narratives we are told and think things through beyond the surface. Technologists and Engineers are great, but the idea that all our kids need to be educated as engineers and technologists or the world is doomed, is just false.
Sadly I see a future where you have more chance making a (basic) living as a personal trainer, masseur, running a nail spa, providing personalized online shopping advice, or online identity management – the new servant class who work for the small minority of the very rich, than I see a future full of middle class technologists and engineers. One of the biggest challneges we face is the polarisation of wealth, the growth of inequality and the disappearence of (an aspiring) middle class.
On that rather dystopian note I bid you good night.

Yep. You sound pretty cynical today Mark. I just wanted to make two points. First, on educational startups. The main problem I've seen is lack of knowledge stemming from being an outsider. Aka ignorance and lack of due diligence. I remember once when the head of IT asked us to come in and talk to a manager from one of the big tech companies. He had had a brilliant idea which he thought would have a big positive impact. It was a bid sad when we had to crush his idea with the steam roller of reality. But that was a good thing. Due diligence was done and effort was not wasted.
ReplyDeleteThe second thing is STEM. All I really want to say is that it takes huge campaigns and unmeasurable effort to make small gains in this world. I'm sure that the people pushing STEM at the highest levels know this. There will be nothing like a 100% conversion rate. At best there might be a few percentage points change over a decade. You are right in saying a world with only STEM graduates in it isn't a good outcome. But I don't believe anyone is aiming at that goal.
My opinions. :-)
Dr. Slowbow, I hope that you know that I do really value your opinion and you are right, I am cynical. Perhaps it is my age?
ReplyDeleteI do not enjoy shooting ideas down in flames or being perceived as negative. I hate that and also find it exhausting. I want to be positive, but not naively so.
I do think it important to be skeptical and critical, that is to use the word critical in the real sense of the word and not just meaning negative. I think skepticism and critique are important, maybe increasingly important as we have to deal with increasing amounts of unfiltered information. Heck we need to fact check almost everything.
But you are right and it is a fine line from these to just being a cynical, negative, miserable old git who complains endlessly about the world and sees no good in anything. I think sometimes that I tip that balance and fall into the “old git pit”. :-)
I admit to writing that post after dealing with a stream of emails, (well three) from the same company and then a phone call from them. All were urging me that we had to meet so as to look at ways we could partner to, I quote “…become a tool to be used for added value in the export portfolios of educational actors.” WTF?
I did give the time to look at their site and watch their videos. This is pretty well verbatim from their video “Welcome to the school of the future…….where lectures have been uploaded so you can view them multiple times to help you revise for your exams” The school of the future? Really? So what we have there is basically a pay per view youtube channel for education – that is the future classroom? I find that depressing and sad, sorry.
Yep - I just run out of energy to try and give positive feedback Dr. Slowbow and to try to explain why that really would not “add value to our export portfolio as an educational actor”.
There is probably a place for what they have, though it is being done by many others as well. There is nothing innovative or original. It is the same old thing. I am in my mid 50s and much less patient of people who have not done the due diligence or even basic market research about what is out there and what the people you are emailing and calling actually already do.
I really do appreciate you taking the time to write your comments and they are fair and challenge me, which is good, because I want you to be skeptical and critique what I write. So thank you.
According to the FT it is not just me that is feeling a bit negative (LOLS)
ReplyDeletehttp://on.ft.com/1TYxKfd
I had similar feelings when Nokia big plan was to educate Africa... To sum it up short, and only engineers had the solution, I was disturbed that they did not involve really teachers... But yeah, the future does not look bright, thanks for keeping me a little more depress lol
ReplyDelete“add value to our export portfolio as an educational actor”? I'll have to remember that one! I can put that instead of WTF and I think people will get it. :-)
ReplyDelete