Day Twenty Eight
Four weeks! I have now been writing at least 500 words a
day for four weeks, in fact my average is around 680 words a day, so that is
around 19,000 words. Pity they were not
very good ones, but it’s the process, .... oh the process, I keep telling myself this.
Thank you if you are
still here, Google tells me there is about 35 of you still turning up to read
this. I am grateful. I guess there are
three days to go after this for my month of writing. In one of those, or a final post challenge
post, I will write a bit about what I feel that I have learned from completing
the challenge.
Today I am going to
break the rule about writing short posts on one topic. That is the advice given to keep readers anyway. It is
probably correct but I have never been very good with rules, always have seen
them as a sort of challenge laid out for me.
Literacy
I wrote a post about
literacy a few days ago, on Day Twenty Five.
Then the very next day some research came out claiming that Finland is
the most literate country in the world.
The paper can be found
here - http://www.ccsu.edu/wmln/
I am glad to see that
this list took a broad approach that included factors other than just reading
tests, but a number of factors that include behaviours and resources. It is also interesting to see how the scores
change when the focus is narrowed to specific areas of literacy such as here
just test scores or for number of libraries. For those interested in the UK perspective
of the results it was covered in the Guardian here.
Yesterday, all tech troubles seemed here to stay
(With apologies to
Lennon and McCartney)
I have not really come
to any conclusions yet I guess. I know
that I read a range of blogs on Ed Tech that for sure have their own
voice. To compare, for example AudreyWatters and Steve Wheeler – very different in voice and also in their levels of
skepticism and even balance between positive and negative. Yet I feel a place for them both. Then there are those in the middle and that
like to provoke and play devils advocate.
I guess they do tend to be consistent, whereas my problem is that I am
rather inconsistent, with a tendency to the negative and cynical I guess.
I have also aware that
it can be really easy for comments to become defensive too easily. I want people to disagree and challenge me as
I really believe that is how I grow, but I also feel almost compelled to defend
myself and I have to try and hold back from that sometimes (often without
success) but I also realize that people who comment may not want to be drawn
into a debate or discussion (and some, like me do!). What I am trying to say, not very well, is
that it can start to feel like a zero sum game of scoring points in the
comments section if you are not careful.
I just realized that I
have drifted into starting to reflect on the overall experience of taking on
this challenge, but as I am now already over 620 words I am going to leave it
there for today.

Some days, the world just be bringin' us down. That's all...
ReplyDeletehttps://youtu.be/Q2jnF1pOHyw
Nice track dude... not heard it before.
ReplyDelete