Day Eighteen
This is the closest I
have come to not posting. My day started
at 2:30 am Dubai time after 3 hours of sleep and I am still going now at just
after 12:40 am Dubai time the next day.
I am, however back in
Finland, so between those two points were taxi rides, a flight, two train rides
and a bus journey. So now I am home, in
the kitchen, at the table with the white page of a MS Word document staring at
me. But fear not, as I do have some
things to say today – this is not a space filler. Having said that, I have no notes or plan,
but rather some thoughts to share that I had during my flight.
Narratives and Metaphor
I would describe myself
as a storyteller. I think it was a part
of my practice from the first time I ever taught although I gave it no real
conscious thought that I can recall. It
just always seemed a very natural thing to illustrate whatever the content I
had to teach by use of a narrative of some type.
At times these would
be more formalized into ‘case studies’ especially in business. My original subject area was business and
finance and then I branched into economics, touching on a wide range of
business subjects along the way of my career in education. In all areas, even when teaching basic
accounting, it seemed to give context and meaning if taught through the medium
of a story.
![]() |
| https://pixabay.com/en/narrative-history-dream-tell-794978/ |
Story and metaphors,
the second most used technique I have. One of course does not preclude the
other. During the early years of my
career I do not think that I reflected much on this, it was just the way I did
things. As I became gradually more self-aware
of elements of my practice then I began to reflect on these techniques as part
of the pedagogical process. In both
cases I do believe that they can be used as part of the bridge and scaffolding between
what students already understand of the world and their construction of new
understanding. Where it is more
challenging is when the new knowledge actually challenges existing
understanding or even contradicts the way in which the student believes the
world to work. This period of cognitive dissonance
can be very uncomfortable for students as they struggle with the new knowledge
or view of the world.
During my flight home
I started to read “We Robot: Staying Human in the Age of Big Data” by Curtis
White, which in turn introduced me the ideas of Hans Vaihinger and his Philosophy of As-If which was originally
called the Philosophy of Scientific
Fictions. This started me down what
I think is going to become a ‘rabbit hole’ on thoughts about narrative in
philosophy.
It is early days, but
so far I am enjoying White’s book and his premise about the use of stories that
are not truths of the world, that are used and presented as truths that we all
come to accept. It connected with me in
particular with regard to the world of economics and finance which I do believe
is presented as a story for the populace, but one that is far from the truth,
if of course there is such a thing as objective truth. I am particularly enjoying his critique of
the writing of Tyler Cohen and in particular his book “Average is Over”.
As I say this is early
days and my thoughts are still forming.
I feel sure that future posts are going to return to this.
Voice
One final point in
this slightly overlong post, about the voice of the writer. I think that my blog so far has experimented
a little with different voices or styles, and I feel sort of fine with that,
they are all me and are not fake. I noticed
that White also does that, which I found reassuring. He is at his funniest when writing about the
most serious matters, something that I really liked. He also openly discussed the writing style of
the book with his reader, which I liked.
This may also be
something I return to.
And with that… it is
late and I bid thee good night – ‘Abide’ dear friends.

A slight jump from writing to film. Have you seen Deadpool? Don't take the kids, it is violent and irreverant. However, they make awesome use of voice in the movie. And they shift from voice to voice almost seemlessly - you only really notice when they want you to notice for effect. Thanks for this post on story, my favorite topic!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments Slowbow. I have not yet seen Deadpool but it is on my list of movies that I want to see, they are somewhat like my pile of unread books - my Tsundoku of films!
ReplyDeleteI like films make ue of a variety of voices and perspectives, indeed I just like to use movies or clips from movies in my teaching as well. I wish I had some training in media studies and how to 'read' movies.
In the book I mentioned, We Robot, White spends a lot of time looking at the movie "Her", in which Joaquin Phoenix falls in love with his new operating system. He makes much of the scene in Her where an Owl descends. A gif of the scene is available here
https://philosophyandfiction.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/781d07bc10a99cca-hawk2.gif
White does not connect this to Blade Runner in his book though, which was my first thought. In Blade Runner Deckard falls in love with the replicant Rachael, who has a replicant Owl with her when they first meet. I think the owl is significant on several levels.
Thanks Slowbow. I guess we could also analyse movies late into the night as well.