Day Twenty One
If you have been following the last
three days, you will know that we have covered sex, then yesterday drugs and so
today should be rock and roll. With that
in mind I did consider for a few minutes of writing about George Martin and his
influence on rock and roll through the fine work he did with The Beatles and
others, however I rejected that idea.
I am now three weeks in to this
challenge with just one week to go.
Thank you if you are still there and reading this. It is late again and I am feeling a bit low
about the death of George Martin. If you
know anything at all about the music of The Beatles, then you will understand
why. Just listen to the string arrangement
on Yesterday.
Which makes me think that a post or
two on death is well overdue. I never
think that ‘he’ should be overlooked when one is undertaking a project like
this (pun not intended).
But today I shall pick up where I
left off yesterday on sport. The sports
topic and even the mention of drugs in the link on Facebook did not act as
clickbait for readers, but no matter. I
have a few things to say.
Football – that is to say, soccer
I used to watch football, I never
really played very much though. The
nearest big (1st division, no premiership in those days) team was
Chelsea in the West End of London. In
the 1970s they were the glamour boys of football, the ones that the leggy
models, movie and rock stars went to watch.
It was also Chelsea that my dad took
me to see in when I was a kid in the 1960s.
I did not choose Chelsea, rather they were just the natural team to
support, my local club. I do not see how
someone who is from the south can support a northern team, but there we go.
I no longer watch football and for
sure had to just give up on Chelsea. The
behaviour of the club, its officials, its managers and player are unacceptable
to me. Many of the fans are sadly a disgrace.
I say sadly because there are decent people, but to be honest, if they
had any real ethics and dignity they would also walk away and turn their back
on the club until it kicked out its rogue fans and started insisting on
acceptable behaviour from the clubs officials and players. The events of Paris were the final straw and
I canceled my subscription to the club, for I had been a paid up member.
The man at the top sets the tone for
an entire organisation and sadly Mr. Abramovich does not set high standards of
behaviour. In my opinion that then trickles
down through the whole organisation, so that they abuse other teams, mistreat
their own staff and are just generally unpleasant. Other clubs are far from perfect, but I was
not a fan of other clubs, I was a fan of that club and in the end I was ashamed
and embarrassed to wear their shirt or tell people I supported them. In fact I started to want to see them lose
and trust me, they seem to have managed to pull that off in the last season as
well.
I know some sports fans will not
understand my actions, they say that I cannot be a true fan or true supporter,
that it goes deeper. I disagree
entirely. If the actions of a group,
club, organisation, company or society of which you are part do not coincide
with your own moral and ethical framework, then I think you have a moral duty
to distance yourself and tell them why.
You will not therefore be surprised that when I cancelled to my
membership and sent back my card I told them exactly why I could no longer
support them. I did not get a reply and
but I do keep a lookout for dodgy towels and cups of tea. (wink).

Hi Mark. I enjoyed your post although I don't have a clue what the heck you're talking about. There seems to be a qualitative difference in the practice of fandom between the US and the UK. At least in the things I've seen in the media ( and therefore highly suspect of course ).
ReplyDeleteI think there is a UK / US difference Dr, Slowbow, at least in my experience.
Delete