Day Three
| Are you taking a MOOC Reggie? |
Why MOOC? Why not watch Reggie Perrin?
In yesterday’s post
Slowbow made the following comment in response to my post about the MOOCs I
had chosen to take.
“Hmm. I understand your desire to do things
purposefully. But, if you don't mind my meddlesomeness, what is the higher
level goal? To what end will these MOOCs contribute? I won't hesitate to state
my opinion that if there is no greater goal you might as well turn on the TV
and watch reruns of Reginald Perrin.”
I think I understand
where the question is coming from in terms of what Slowbow calls purpose and so
I will try first today to address his questions.
I want to start with
the second question asked “To what end
will these MOOCs contribute?” and then move on to the higher level
question.
So why these MOOCs,
what do they contribute? Well at one
level that is really easy to answer, my job involves training educators and it
is therefore essential that I stay current in the trends and ideas associated
with learning, which is what all three of the MOOCs listed are really
about. They represent Continuing Professional Development.
At a second level, I
am fortunate to get invited to speak on educational topics, for example in April a conference will pay for my flights, hotel and food for a three day
conference where I will speak for one hour on the future of higher
education. Thus using free online
courses to keep myself current on trends seems to me at least a reasonable
return on my time.
Connected to that is a
duty and responsibility to stay current as a professional educator, just as I
would expect a doctor, lawyer or accountant to stay current in their own
fields.
A life as a
professional learner.
I think our world
has changed and today we have to go on learning throughout our lives. There was a time I think in education when it
was considered that learning was mostly over and your role shifted to transferring
the knowledge you had acquired into the heads on the next generation.
That is no longer true in my opinion. We all have to be lifelong learners and I
enjoy continuing to learn and I honestly think I will be taking courses of one
type or another until my dying day, because I enjoy knowing more about the
world and the more I know the more I realize that I do not know. I do not do it to just walk the talk, I do it
because I love it.
Higher Purpose?
Which I guess bring me
to the higher purpose part. What is the
purpose of life? Sure there is the
sexual imperative of passing on genes and thus trying to ensure the survival of
the species. But what else gives us purpose?
For some that might be found in religion and some others seek it in the
accumulation of as much wealth and stuff as they can in their lifetimes. Neither of these work very well for me at
all.
For me life is about
learning and in some ways I do feel that life will keep trying to teach us the
lessons we need to learn until we have taken them on board. I think maybe that is what Jagger and
Richards were getting at the lyrics of “You can’t always get want you want”.
I also want to clarify
here that not all the courses I take and things I read relate to work, far from
it. I have taken courses in history,
storytelling, cyber security, hacking and the dark web and in propaganda in
politics. Why? Because I am interested and want to learn
more about these things, more than I want to watch a rerun of Reggie Perrin
even though that was very funny the first time of watching.
There is also a social aspect that I think
is interesting and worth mentioning.
For example on the FutureLearn platform I have now started to meet the
same people online taking those very diverse courses listed about. Many are older, some in fact retired and they
are from all over the world. In this case I think MOOCs do fuction in a similar way to the MMORPGs from which the name is derived.
They have become social places where people ask things like “Are you
going to be taking the course next month in xyz?”
Some may feel that
this is a sad reflection of not having enough friends In Real Life (IRL) – and how
I hate that tag anyway, as if online was not real. For in my opinion it is a reality, just a
different one, but that is I guess a different discussion.
I am now starting to
feel as if this post is defensive and I do not want it to sound that way – as I
do not feel the need to defend how I choose to spend my time.
This post has rolled
into over 800 words today. You may not
agree with me on everything, or anything and that is fine, feel free to tell me
in the comments, though I cannot guarantee a response like this one for my
friend Slowbow.
Till tomorrow –
Abide
Three days down and I already find myself expecting the next post with curiosity. Is he going to make it? Will I see the day when there is no MarkCurher post in my FB? I am hooked.
ReplyDeleteThank you Pirjo, I am flattered. Your comment is much appreciated.
DeleteOnline worlds are real. Very real.
ReplyDeleteJust another dimension.
Quite like e-learning.
My question: when can we just get on by referring to learning and not only e-learning?
Thank you for your comment Ana Cristina and for reading.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you about the use of the term e-learning and I tend not to use the term very much if you look through my writing and speaking. For me it is like talking of book-learning or lecture learning. I do use the terms distance learning and online learning to distinguish between online, face to face and blended. I really dislike digitization which to me sounds so 1990's - the paperless office and so on. I am in favour of technology enhanced learning, which makes explicit that the idea is to improve learning rather than just move to the digital 'because'....
I feel sure that you and I could have a long discussion about terminologies in learning. (smile)
Slowbow - thank you, without you there would not have been this post. :)
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome...
ReplyDelete