Featured post

What happened when I tried learning from a chatbot!

Learning from a bot, a personal experience In this post I want to give a short review of an online course that I recently compl...

Tuesday, 23 February 2016

Day Six: This one is a struggle



Day Six

For the first time since I started this challenge I really do not feel like writing tonight.  I feel tired and just want to sit and relax and either read or watch something, it was an effort to even boot up the old ‘lapdog’.  However I am determined that I will not miss a day and to see through this challenge and so here I sit, struggling to know what to type.

I am sorry if this post is a real ‘duffer’ and not worth your time and I thank you in advance for staying with me my readers, I will try hard to do better in the future.

Perhaps I should start by spending some time reflecting on the last six days of writing and what, if anything I have learned so far?   The first five days were pretty good and I always started off with several ideas bubbling away in my head and never really sure where things were going go.  They seemed to turn out OK and no one has flamed or trolled me yet.  I was surprised at how quickly I could write the minimum word count and that has encouraged me to consider writing a regular blog. 

I like the idea that Stephen Downs has where he sets aside half an hour and writes each day and publishes that, indeed the blog is called ‘Half an hour’.  I am not sure about doing that every day if I were to continue.  Three times a week seems more realistic if I am to produce something of value for people to read.  On the other hand, perhaps that misses the point, perhaps I should not do it for you dear reader, but rather write for myself and not worry about audience.  Just enjoy the process as I am right now as I do this, even if it may not be much fun for you!

It has also sort of surprised me how quickly the words add up and I think this might help me in future when writing papers or articles for work and I hit a blank or writer block.  I should just keep writing, just keep going and edit later.  Write ideas, write to myself about the paper but above all write.

I feel a bit sad that there is nothing witty, contentious or provocative in this post today.  None of the fun I was having a couple of days ago with the EU post and my comments about Parisian style and corrupt institutions and politics.  I guess that after a long and tiring day at work it is just that much harder to be creative or funny.  I did make an effort to read the news before starting tonight to see if I could pick up on anything worth commenting on, or could find some humor in, but alas nothing there seemed even slightly funny tonight – not even Boris Johnson.

So you stayed with me until the end of this post!  Thank you for that and I will try to do better in the future, for now, good night.  (Tonight was an evening when a muse would have been welcome – applications are open ;-) )


8 comments:

  1. Thank you Mr Marko - sorry to be a dull boy tonight though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The previous 5 days were just 'clearing the undergrowth' it would seem. Now we get just you, not your ideas about things. Much more real and satisfactory, as far as I am concerned. Keep on with it, I'm enjoying reading you. Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this. I appreciate your comment very much indeed. I think these comments will be the influence for Day Seven.

      Delete
  3. I have been wondering about your purpose, myself. I'm sure that this Challenge has a purpose beyond content, but if you continue with daily writing after the challenge, I think you will need to move beyond stream of consciousness to something you personally find more fulfilling.

    Maybe even do that now. You'd have a nice little ebook by the end of the month if you chose a topic and write-to-teach.

    Just a thought. Maybe I'm projecting my own desires onto you.I think having a greater purpose in mind might help with the tough days,though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowbow - thank you as well. How interesting this is huh? Such different feedback. As I said above, these are causing a lot of reflection and thought and I feel sure will form the basis of Day Seven.

      Delete
  4. You didn't let your readers down by not writing at all although feeling tired. Relieved to see that you are only human like me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh trust me, I am VERY human.

    ReplyDelete