Day Five: 500 Word Writing Challenge
Each day on this challenge I get an
email to encourage me and give me ideas to help me write. I can use them or ignore them as I please,
just so long as I write my 500 words.
Today the suggestion was to “describe a day in my life that I will never
forget”. I liked that one so I will
start with that and see where it leads for today as I am pretty well ‘freewriting’ this.
Leaving and Arriving
A family stand on the railway
platform in Finland, its February and deep snow blows around the seven
suitcases and four pieces of hand luggage that hold their belongings. It is only late afternoon but already the
light is failing. In a just over a week
the father will start a new job, but before then they need to find a place to
live, a school for the children and sort out the administrative details of
moving to this new country.
Forty eight hours earlier they had
stood in a bright sunny villa in Dubai. It was in complete and utter
chaos. Despite knowing that they were
going to leave for around six months, they really have not done enough, mostly
through procrastination. As a result
they are about to start the most insane and crazy forty-eight hours of their
lives.
Sure the cars and some large pieces
of furniture had been sold, but to be honest the husband had been more
concerned about holding farewell parties to say goodbye to people. As a result
the villa was still full of all kinds of things and in twenty four hours it had
to be empty, cleaned and the keys returned.
The husband and wife worked all day
and all night, leaving the children in a hotel with a baby sitter while they
tried to clear all the belongings. A
charity called with a large lorry to take away more than 20 bin bags of
possessions that would go to the needy. Other items were placed by the garbage
bins where fortunate people were able to pick up all manner of toys, baby
goods, home appliances, clothes, shoes and crockery.
The wife grabbed a two hour nap but the
husband literally did not stop all night, cursing the five bedroom villa and
the space that had allowed them to accumulate so much stuff over the years. Cursing his procrastination at not getting all
this and the many administrative chores completed before leaving.
Eventually, with the villa clear,
they head back to the hotel to get the kids and send off the baby sitter. They grab a breakfast and try very hard to
get everything into the seven suitcases and four pieces of hand luggage. Things still have to be abandoned in the hotel room as time
runs out and a mad dash to the airport ensues. The family are in a taxi and the
husband in a hire car that still has to be returned.
At the airport the wife hires a
couple of porters to help with all the luggage while the husband deals with the
car. That completed they rush into the
terminal where there is all the paperwork of clearing visas to be completed,
yet the agent has gone to the wrong terminal for the flight. He is on the mobile going mad wondering where
we are and fearful we have absconded into the UAE. Finally they meet and the paperwork process
can begin.
Finally, (with a lot of help from friends), they are checked in and can take a breath, they are just in time for the
flight and now for a few hours there is nothing that can be done but to sit
back and relax and enjoy the flight. A
change in Frankfurt and then onto Helsinki.
The husband turns to the wife and says, “No matter what it costs we will
hire some porters in Helsinki as there is no way we can manage with all this
luggage”.
Well, there were no porters in
Helsinki, not because they could not afford them but because there are no
porters in Helsinki. So the family struggled
in relay with their cases up and down stairs and to the railway to start their
new life.
That really was a day that I will
never ever forget…..
(Note – there is actually much more
to the story of these two days, but that is not for a public blog, but all of
the above is 100% true)
But the going away party was EPIC!!!!!
ReplyDeleteIt was fun...true enough
ReplyDeleteSlowbow - when it your time to go, do not follow my example, start early and plan !
ReplyDeleteOf all the places in the world you guys chose Finland. Or is it that Finland chose you?
ReplyDeleteA bit of both Pirjo. At the time I accepted the offer from TAMK I was holding offers from Shanghai and also the University of West London. If I had no family I would almost certainly be in Shanghai now to be honest. If I had not lived in London already and been British I would be in London. But Tampere and Finland were the number one choice for many reasons. It is a great place for a family, the quality of life is high. It is more alighned to my social and political views and best of all - The People, the Finns, people like you - are really lovely. I mean that.
ReplyDelete