Day Seven
First of all, thank
you, really – THANK YOU for your comments here on the blog and on Facebook.
They are all valued and appreciated and so interesting to read.
This is fascinating
and just a little weird. As you know yesterday
was a real struggle, heck I even said so in the title and I really feel that I did not say
very much and yet, and yet it has the highest first day readership yet by a
long way. In fact it got more readers in total than all the other posts bar Day
One, which has been up for a full week now. Yes a week!
I honestly thought it
would be of little interest but clearly it did connect for some people. I want to explore that today as I think it is
really interesting and I want to think more deeply about what people wrote as comments.
On social media I had
people telling me that they 'preferred' my earlier posts and missed the 'witty me',
but also people telling me that they liked my sincerity. I know that all these were meant in a nice
way and were not being critical and they are taken that way and valued.
Here on the blog, well
there were those who just confirmed that they had read it (smile) and support and
encouragement for continuing and for the fact that I was showing a human side. Indeed one comment said it was the most ‘real
and satisfactory post so far’, that I had moved on from my ideas about things, ‘clearing
the undergrowth until there was just me’.
Wow!
Then again, expressing
a counter view if you like, was the question about purpose and suggestion that
if I stuck to a theme I could write an ebook if I stuck to topic and wrote to
teach.
As I say, I value all
of these view points and have been thinking about them over the day.
Which brings me back
to why I took this challenge. If you
Google “30 day writing challenge” you will find that there a number of these
and although the details vary, the principle is the same. The one that I actually took is this one.
Why?
- Because I wanted to test out firsthand the 30 day rule for forming a habit, to see if I could stick at something for 30 days nonstop and form a habit.
- Because I like the process of writing. I do not play music or paint or create in other ways very much. My main creative fulfillment comes from words, writing words and speaking words, telling stories. I think most of my presentations and a lot of my classes are narratives.
- Because I feel that if I do form this habit it can be useful to me, in helping me form other more positive habits and also in my productivity in work. But – the aim of the challenge was not to do something for work. I do not want any more work to encroach into out of work time.
- Because the process of writing changes me.
So that is why I do not want this challenge to be about writing a blog on educational technology or teacher training or education policy and so on. That is work. However if my mood means that I feel the need to write about that then I will, after all it is my blog! (wink).
Which brings me to audience, as your comments got me
thinking about that a lot as well. Who
is my audience? Who am I writing for?
Who do I imagine reading this?
Well of course I know most of you that are commenting and so I can
picture you reading it, but does that mean I am writing FOR you?
I do not have an
answer for that yet and in this challenge maybe I never will, because this
seems different.
Stay with me, let me
explain. When I write teaching materials
or a paper or journal then there is usually a very specific group in mind and
that constrains things, which is fine. You learn the rules and also find your
voice and style but you do know who is likely to read. I see this a bit like people who write a song
to be a hit, there are rules and a formula to having a popular hit record.
However sometimes a
hit happens out of the blue, not because it followed the formula but because it
connects, it has soul, it speaks to an audience even though it was not written
to entertain them. It is as if the song
almost ‘had’ to come out, it had to be created, it needed to be expressed. The
emotion and passion needed an outlet and the audience hears that in the song.
Please understand, I
am not comparing myself to any great song writer at all here, I am just using
that as a metaphor to try and express the difference. So
although I really appreciate the idea expressed in the comments of sticking to
a theme and of writing an ebook or regular blog or article on some topic in the
future, I am not there yet. I do have
ideas for regular themed blogs and I do also read them, but those same influencers inhibit
me because I feel I never could be as good as them.
Finally your comments
made me realize that I had been doing some ‘channeling’. When I read back some of the posts on say the
EU and politics the voice I heard in my head was not really me but me trying to
be funny like Charlie Brooker and Frankie Boyle. I am not comparing myself to their huge
talent – but I see elements of say some of Boyles writing in the Guardian. I was not even aware of that at the time I
wrote it.
Is channeling
bad? For sure no, every single person
who creates anything at all is always channeling their influences and
experiences, often without being aware of them.
It was just interesting for me and I think worth commenting on.
So – Slowbow, my
friend, again more stream of consciousness and more process and not much content, sorry. However perhaps that pretty well reflects a lot of
who I am, as a person, as a teacher and as a learner. I am about process rather than content. With that I will say good night as this has
been a very long post – more than double the requirement and it has flown past. Thanks again for staying with me.
Yo Curch-Monster! Interesting philosophical implications in your discussion of audience. When you start writing, you may imagine an audience. But once you have written something, your audience chooses you. The ones you imagined may or may not read. They may or may not keep reading you. But those who do start and continue to read become your actual audience whether or not you imagined, wanted, or needed them.
ReplyDeleteAll true, but what if I am only writing for myself, for the process. Does it then become like that tree falling in the forest with no one to hear?
ReplyDeleteMaybe it's like the guy who never listens talking to himself...
ReplyDelete