Featured post

What happened when I tried learning from a chatbot!

Learning from a bot, a personal experience In this post I want to give a short review of an online course that I recently compl...

Friday, 26 February 2016

Day Nine: Finland

Day Nine

I am writing this a little earlier than usual, want to get it out of the way and then just sit and chill, perhaps watch some TV (Reggie Perrin on?) perhaps or a movie.  Not sure yet.

Today I wanted to start by talking about living in Finland. This may be a bit dull for my Finnish readers but may be of more interest to those who have never been here.   I was thinking about this on the bus home from work today and right there is the first point – on the bus.  I do not own a car here.  I do not need to own a car here as public transport is good and cheap and a viable alternative.  That is a huge change from where I used to live and I think a good change.  Sure from time to time a car would be a little more convenient, but not often enough for me yet to consider buying one.
Finnish children enjoying the winter ski break

Today was the last work day before the winter skiing holiday and so the trains and busses were busy with people heading off, very often literally with their skis. Next week the schools and university and so on are all closed. This seems kind of civilized, to give people time off to make the most of the snow and weather and ski.  Despite the famous Monty Python song about Finland, there are actually not really any mountains and so most skiing is in fact the cross country type rather than downhill and is a bloody good work out.

Today I also had a hospital appointment.  I was so impressed with Finnish healthcare, really.  I saw my doctor last Friday and he made a referral, the hospital called me the following Thursday and a lovely nurse switched to perfect English when she knew that I spoke no Finnish.  She made an appointment for me today, the next day from her call.   Do not worry, this is nothing serious, certainly nothing that I can use as an excuse not to continue with this writing challenge.

This related to an ongoing medical issue that I had first dealt with in another country, using private medical insurance.  Here I was seen quicker and I did not have to reach once for my credit or debit card.  Now I know the cost of what I received today, it runs to thousands of Euros, literally.  Previously some of what I received was covered by the insurance but then a whole lot of consumables were used to produce a steady income stream for the hospital or medical practice. 

Today all of these were included and will continue to be included.  Finland really should be proud of this, trust me.  I have seen both sides, I paid no taxes at all but had to pay the real cost of services.  The education and health care here that I have experienced in the last three years are far superior and a much more equitable and humane way of caring and educating a society.  Please do not lose sight of that Finland.
Finally I wanted to share this with you, because I think it is very lovely and it moved me to tears. I hope that you also enjoy it.


2 comments:

  1. I wish I didn't have to drive. I think the first thing I'm going to do when I get rich is buy an eco-friendly limousine and hire a driver to take me wherever I want to go. Or, alternatively, take the bus, but where else but Finland can you actually do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I possibly - Sweden, Estonia, Norway?, Denmark? - Iused the bus in the first two, but not in the others.
    Move to Finland then Dr. Slowbow!

    ReplyDelete