Day Four - UK and EU Politics
So, Cameron burned
the midnight oil, got by on just three hours of sleep in forty eight hours and
brought home a deal of sorts from the European Union. Will it be enough for the
British public who want to leave?
Certainly the reaction from most of the British media has been that this
is not enough and the split in government between those who want out (Brexit)
and those who wish to stay in is already hyping up.
Today the
usual fear mongering has started as we hear from Work and Pensions Secretary
Iain Duncan Smith that staying in Europe means that the UK is more vulnerable
to ‘Paris style’ terrorist attacks. Frankly I would have thought that anything
that might bring the UK a bit of Parisian style should be welcomed with open arms!
At the same
time Cameron says that the UK is "better,safer and stronger" by being in the EU. I think that came straight out of his Olympic
speech from 2012 as it sounds remarkably like the Olympic motto “Citius -
Altius – Fortius”. Given the amount of
corruption and doping in sport perhaps he is just getting the EU mixed up with
FIFA, the IAAF and the IOC? I can see how that is easily done. It is also kind of weird because he was not
saying that a few weeks ago and the deal he got really does not seem to change
much on the safety, strength and ‘betterness’ index.
June 23rd
is the big day and at this moment I really would not be at all surprised if we
see a Brexit vote. As the outcome could
well have a direct impact on my ability to work and live in Europe, it would
have been nice to have been able to vote myself, but sadly, despite the efforts
of the west to bring democracy to Iraq and Libya, it does not extend to
allowing its own citizens to vote in a referendum that affects where they might
live and work. Go figure!
For me
personally, a worst case scenario is not being able to remain in Finland and so
having to leave home and job. Worst of
all is the possible impact on the family, as my wife is a non EU and ETA
citizen, so my children and I could go to the UK but not my wife. As I say this is a worst case scenario and of
course I hope it does not happen, but really it is not beyond the realm of
possible outcomes. That is why being denied
a vote because I have lived outside the UK for too long does somewhat annoy
(actually I am somewhat understating that).
![]() |
| Gove and Johnson Boldly Leading the UK out of the EU? |
For those
who know British politics, the idea of Michael Gove (yes ‘him’ the former
education secretary, you may have read some of my social media rants about him
in the past) and Boris Johnson leading the Tory call for Brexit, on the one
hand. Then Cameron and Osborne on the other – oh I just despair, it’s enough to
make me give up this writing challenge.
So for the
next four months the UK will be singing along to a new version of that British
classic the Hokey Cokey –
You put the UK in
The UK out
In, Out, In, Out and shake it all about
You do the hokey cokey and you turn around
That’s what it’s all about!


Hmmm... We may end up in the same boat. If Trump gets elected President I have vowed to immigrate to Russia. Maybe you and I could share a flat in St. Petersburg?
ReplyDelete