Day Nineteen
Catching up with email
Today has been hectic trying to
catch up on all those things that get a little neglected when you travel,
including email, thus a lot of today was spent going through inboxes to clear
messages and reply. The problem with
that is of course that this just generates new messages as people respond.
Which brings me to the news that Ray Tomlinson, the creator of the email and
selector of the @ symbol passed away.
There is much wrong with email, or perhaps it is not with the technology
itself but rather with the way that we use it, however for sure it has to be
acknowledged that it has changed the way the humans communicate.
Getting more than intimate with your computer
As email has been accused of
tethering humans to our work and computers, I was amused when I came across (pun
intended – sorry) this academic paper today from Indiana University School of
Informatics & Computing entitled “Pleasure is Your Birthright”: Digitally
Enabled Designer Sex Toys as a Case of Third-Wave HCI, by Jeffrey Bardzell and
Shaowen Bardzell. For those who do not
know HCI is the abbreviation for Human Computer Interface and the third wave –
well you can Google it or read the paper.
I am going to refrain from so many obvious and cheap jokes about
research and funding and so on.
Extra Curricula Employment
Then I saw that in the UK academe
has been so badly hit by cuts that Professors now have to take employment on the side, as it were. I have to say that
there is a part of me that quite admires Prof Nicholas Goddard and his work as ‘Old
Nick’, for there really are not that many in academia who leave the ivory
towers to work in the so called ‘real world’.
![]() |
| Acadmics come out of their shell. |
I am not one to stand on judgement
of others but I do wonder if any of his students who had seen his other work
might have become concerned if he had asked them for an oral defense. (OK – yeah that was a cheap and nasty joke –
I am sorry).
Not a typical post
Yes I know, this has not been a
typical post today and things have taken quite a turn after my brush with
aspects of philosophy yesterday. This
writing just sums up my mood right now as I write, just as yesterday’s writing summed
up how I felt as I wrote that.
This is the problem of the writing challenge,
that you have to write no matter what and your mood can vary. Believe me I have been really disappointed
with some of writing suggestions I have had each day in the email from the challenge
organizer – one was write a rant (tough one for me) another was to write a list (any list of
anything) and so on and on. Hardly
inspiring or motivating, though to be fair to someone who might have just been
staring at a flashing cursor I guess it would start them off.
But there we are, I have done it
again. I have pulled it out of the bag
at the last minute to post.
When this is over I am going to
continue to write, but not as often and around a theme, but when I have
something to say and at least once a week.
There may however still be a day journal, perhaps for myself, a place
where thoughts and ideas can find their way to the page (screen).
So that is it for today. I bid thee a goodnight. Abide.

I admire your will in completing this mission, Mark. I am having a hard enough time just trying to read each post and make a short comment each day.
ReplyDeleteThanks Dean. This one is really just a short collection of odd articles from the news, but I did still have to write it, yes.
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading and commenting.