Another interesting and well researched
post about Finnish education from Donald Clark. I think there is less sensationalism
to this one and thus less to ‘pick at’ in debate! (smile – but that won’t stop me trying eh?) In broad terms I would not argue with much
that is there and the excellent comments from people like Karo who know and
understand the system much better than I do.
There is some devil in the detail and I
will pick up on that later.
At the macro level I guess I would say
that the biggest myth of all is the idea that one education system ever can be
better overall than others in every single way.
Context is everything. Even within
a small country (in terms of population) like Finland, what is best for one
group will not be for another and the idea that whole systems are transferable
or can be ‘exported’ is laughable. But
that is not to say that there are not some elements that might benefit another
system.
I honestly think that there is a lot of consensus
amoung educationalists (rather than education managers and policy makers) about
the value (or lack of thereof) of PISA, TIMSS and PIRLS – and now the latest
from Horace Mann League that ranks Finland top. The problem is surely two fold, first policy
makers always want to justify their decisions to the electorate (or other stakeholders
if not a democracy) and secondly the introduction of market forces into
education requires by default that information about the ‘market’ be available
to enable decisions.
The first means that any scrap of
evidence will always be selectively grabbed and highlighted and other aspects
ignored. I think this will always be the
case and this is why the ability to question and critically evaluate is as
essential part of all education systems.
Of course people cherry pick from whoever comes top of whatever measure
we use. Always have and always
will. The good news Donald is that this
means there will always be myths for you to bust (wink).
The second problem (market system)
requires measures, rankings and so on for the so called 'consumers' of education
to base their choices.
(Perhaps we should organize a debate or
panel on this at a conference Donald?)
The rest of my comments are to be found
here.
The devil in the details
These I will dealt with in the same order that
Donald raises them in his original post –
Mass shootings – yes true these are not
as high profile or sensationalized as in other western countries. Conspiracy of silence? I think not, though
for sure this is not something to be proud of in any country, but there are cultural issues at
play as well – I would say greater respect for families and friends affected by
terrible events like this, together with
a dislike of hyping things up (no news stringers here to reference
NightCrawler).
Can I go as far as to suggest that it is not a policy here to strike fear into the population to justify excessive policing and surveillance? Fact is that the place is still generally very safe, as I said before – very 1950’s or 60’s. But bad stuff does happen of course, no denying that happens everywhere. But why turn that into media entertainment?
Can I go as far as to suggest that it is not a policy here to strike fear into the population to justify excessive policing and surveillance? Fact is that the place is still generally very safe, as I said before – very 1950’s or 60’s. But bad stuff does happen of course, no denying that happens everywhere. But why turn that into media entertainment?
Not going to argue over salaries, I do
not have the data. But I will argue
about status and respect for teachers in society, how much is that worth in
monetary terms? Teachers and education
is held in high regard.
Yes there is a core curriculum (you can get details here) and
teachers are FREE to teach and assess that as best suits the needs of their
students. No standardized over testing
and ranking of pupils, teachers and schools. No politicized inspection body.
The core curriculum guides, not constrains. There are text books, true and discussions
about moving to the use of OERs and ebooks.
(Refer to my previous post about a parent consultation evening).
On class size I cannot comment except
from my own experience with my children and the schools I have visited. In general the sizes have been smaller than
the UK and the use of support staff in classrooms means that that there can be
a very low student/staff ratio.
I would still argue that most parents
send their children to the local school. You have to remember that the society
is much more equal and very large social status differences only really exist
in the one large city (Helsinki). In
most towns there really is very little difference. As Kara stated in her comments, the
exception is when students select specialist schools for specific aspects of
curriculum, such as schools with an arts and music focus or a science focus or
physical education and sports focus.
Then you apply to go to that school at around 14 or 15.
![]() |
| Augmented reality? |
There is no ‘education’ as such for those under 6, not as you and I would understand it. There is childcare and play and hot food and naps and play outside – and if a parent decides to stay at home rather than take advantage of this they are paid an allowance. This I know to be true from personal experience and having a raised two children here through these age ranges.
The truth, as Donald states, is far from
prosaic. We each have our biases and I
acknowledge mine, I work as a teacher educator in Finland promoting Finnish teacher
education internationally. I also had a
choice of three countries in which to work when I left the UAE, including my
country of birth, the UK. It was not a
contest, as a place to raise children and work in education I really find it
hard to think of a better alternative than Finland and I feel privileged to be
here. I am happy to pay my taxes for that, but I
agree that does not make it perfect or right for everyone else.
Perhaps the best idea is to get you over to Finland and see things for yourself?
Perhaps the best idea is to get you over to Finland and see things for yourself?

No comments:
Post a Comment