Featured post

What happened when I tried learning from a chatbot!

Learning from a bot, a personal experience In this post I want to give a short review of an online course that I recently compl...

Thursday, 5 February 2015

Reasons to be cheerful....or not



Recently two of my Facebook friends posted this link to “21Things That Will Be Obsolete by 2020” – an article that makes interesting reading.  The article was first published in 2009 and had been updated with this response by the author since publication.

Normally I try and stay away from the comments on articles, too often they seem to reflect the very worst aspects of humanity with the trolling and insulting that take place, but this time I was curious, so I spent some time reading them last evening.

As it happened I also spent a couple of hours last night at the school of my eight year old daughter talking with a couple of teachers and parents about curriculum and specifically about the use of technology and social media in education.  It was interesting and a little depressing.

Flickr: Corey Leopold


Much of what was said by other parents echoes some of the comments in response to the article, namely, that students need ‘traditional’ knowledge and skills and methods for learning these.  That they need books and to learn things off by heart. There was a very real and genuine concern that ‘modern’ methods were failing children.    

 One parent shared with horror the fact that our local university has adopted a problem based learning approach to the training of medical doctors (full disclosure – this is not the University where I work) and how these could therefore never be ‘good’ doctors.   Another then continued that with a story of a member of his own family who had used information ‘found’ on the internet to challenge his own medical doctors prognosis.  Imagine that, questioning a doctor? 

I seemed to be in a small minority who thought that these were good things.  That it is wonderful to be able to discuss your illness with your doctor and the alternatives therapies available, that having knowledgeable discourse was a good thing.   That medical doctors treat a whole person, not isolated symptoms and seeing this in a holistic, problem based fashion was probably also a good thing. 

Critical without understanding.....


I started to realize after a while that at least part of the problem here was that the people did not really know or understand what is meant by these terms.  To them problem based leaning meant ‘doing what you liked, following your interests’, that there was no rigorous assessment in PBL.  But alas discussion of assessment opened another can of worms – the importance of memorizing facts to ‘regurgitate’ in an exam situation was still the most highly praised skill for these parents.   When I pointed out that I would, for example, rather have a pilot who had been assessed in a simulator under a range of emergency situations than one had had written an excellent essay on landing in strong cross winds, what followed was a discussion of how most of flying is now done with technology.  Sadly no one saw the irony of their own conclusions, indeed the observation was stated as if it were a loss that pilots have lost the skill of flying!

"Children need to be digitally literate."


Then we had the 'extremist parent' who has banned the internet from his home.  I will not give space here to the reasons he gave for doing this to protect his son and daughter and I acknowledge that this was driven by genuine concern.  My response was to argue the case for the importance of children being digitally literate. For education to enable and empower them to critically deal with all information and otherwise that is now open to us online.   It seemed to me that his position is not unlike banning books because some authors write some things you would rather your children did not read. 

What genuinely surprised me was how often the teachers were more in the camp of those terrified by technology and resistant to change.  They were not among the extremists thankfully, but certainly were very cautious. Most worrying to me is how they might be influenced by the views of these few parents.  Linked to this is the very low turnout of parents.  Does this reflect a disinterest or apathy or a view that schools are doing fine and we as parents should not get too involved?   The danger with that is then it is the opinions of the few ‘squeaky wheels’ who want an education for their children to be the same as the one that they received (and lets ban the internet and burn books while we are about it).  Get back to traditional education.... the cry.

 "We need to educate children to be better than we have been, not the same."


I am not one of those who believe that technology will solve educations problems; I just see it as a tool to be used by quality teachers for sound pedagogical reasons, because it can enhance learning.   What really does worry me though is the notion expressed in the comments section to the article and that I heard last night, that we should educate for the past, for a time that no longer exists, rather than for a future that is unknown.   We need to aspire to educate children to be better than we are.  The generation that are now parents, grandparents and teachers have done of fine job of screwing things up on this planet, acting as if there are no future generations.  We need to educate children to be better than we have been, not the same.  

In this final section I am of course alluding to conspicuous consumption as a life goal, the use of finite resources as a measure of economic growth and success, the cult of the self-centered individual above the common good for the people.   I admit that today I do not feel so optimistic about our future.

*NOTE.   For those who know my location and context I should explain that the evening above was held in English and the parents in attendance were all expatriates.  So perhaps the discussion is different in the meetings with Finnish parents and the issues and concerns are different.   This may well be true.   It is of course always true that the people who attend these kind of things often have a vested interest in addition to their concern for their childrens education.  I admit that my own interest in this specific area was a driver for my attendance and it may be that for others it was the desire to express support for 'traditional learning'.  Again I cannot say.  Perhaps I should draw hope from that?

10 comments:

  1. Good thoughts! If we keep teaching students today as we have in the past, they will be totally unprepared for the future that awaits them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dr. Slyk. I have corrected a few typos and also clarified the context of the meetings.

      Delete
  2. Interestingly enough, it seems that the problems you mention are universal: you can easily transfer the situation to Polish reality. What we are aiming at, supposedly, is making the society thoughtless: instead of solving problems and discussing ideas, we are more often passing multiple choice exams with no catches, which would make us think more of the possible responses...As for technology, it is still, in my opinion, not valued enough and considered only the necessary evil of our times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Beata. Thank you for your comment. I think it may be part of human nature to prefer the known and thus value for your children the things that are of value to you. So if you did well in education and enjoyed it, the natural desire is to try and ensure that everything stays the same.

      At the same time, those who drive standardized curricula and assessment, such as that you describe, use the language of raising standards and 'getting back to basics' to promote their agenda with parents. The commoditization of education and the introduction of market forces in an attempt to drive up standards just makes things worse in so many ways. But we have to ask ourselves whether the ability to memorize facts to pass multiple choice tests really is the kind of skill required in the connected economy? I think not.

      Thank you Beata.

      Delete
  3. Hey Mark, trying to remember what I wrote. Not sure if I can remember my first reaction, but here are some thoughts I had. And some of them are just related to observations of the Australian system; so I might be too harsh.

    The one thing I learnt almost immediately was the term "helicopter parents": Never ever let your kid be alone. Bring it to school, pick it up, attend all moments as there could be something happening otherwise. I am not sure how I would have survived this a kid, especially as most of my learning was through experiments, having failures, pain from falling off a swing that was going to high. Nowadays, people try to provide a save and secure environment. Dont do something wrong. Dont touch this, dont eat this, dont dont dont. And from my experience with students in Europe and here, it seems to reflect on how they learn and approach problems. More cautious, looking for guidelines, rules, support.

    I am not saying that one system is better than the other. Not able to judge this as I did not collect enough data and did not do any comparison. But the risk aversion can be found everywhere in the Australian system. Dont do anything that bears even a small risk, try to provide a safety net; often in the form of 60 pages forms that try to cover every imaginable possibility. Dont enroll someone if this person could fail later.

    How does it relate to your blog? We forgot to teach our kids to handle situations themselves. Ever worth, we try to keep them away from any challenge. The problem is, that this environment is temporary, there are situations where decisions have to be made. And it is a skill that we acquire throughout our childhood. From all the teaching and just educated "connecting the dots", it is obvious when people grow up with rules and guidelines. They ask for the textbook, literally command to have a set of steps for every situation, and memorise everything to later repeat it. It might relate to passing on the values we had, but if parents are put into handcuffs by administrations and governments, almost in prison in case something goes not 100% the right way, how can they allow for the required freedom of the child.

    Is it better to read a book or a kindle document? Does it matter what is better as long as the "technology" is used? Critically used? Not just searched in Google and first hit defines the best answer. The answer to follow. Technology changes. And there is always a normality with the one we grew up with and being scared of feeling with the new. We adapt. Is the current student a digital native? Depends. They know the usage, but not anymore as their parents did know a pocket calculator. If I can operate a SmartPhone, is this better than someone 30 years back used a "Smart" pocket calculator? Not really. The technology might allow you to do more than before, but you must do it. And looking up opinions on the Internet is not using it. Creating something, understanding the potential, pushing boundaries; that is what makes a difference. If you are able to use the pocket calculator to solve difficult problems by reprogramming it, you are a "native". Hitting buttons as told - not in my opinion.

    Alright Mark; by far not as good as yesterday. But at least I replied to your post, which I liked a lot. And assume that you will not follow the old habit and not reading the comment :-) And feel free to "censor" the comment in case of low quality :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And definitely want to discuss this in person this year. Have to find a way to come to Tampere or bring you to Perth :-)

      Delete
    2. Now we are talking Torsten... for sure!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for taking the time to write this, appreciated. Nothing to censor at all mate. Pretty well agree 100% - children are over protected, I think the situation is worse in the UK and US (and possibly in Australia from what you say) than here in Finland. Part of the problem there is FEAR - the media and the Government pump out fear to the masses.

      When I was in New Orleans for E -Learn I was quite shocked at home the TV just had scare stories 24/7. The documentaries by Adam Curtis are worth looking at for an analysis of this. The movie Nightcrawler which I saw last night is a fictional portrayal of how the 'newsmedia' want the fear inducing stories. Both of these are worth a look. Take care my friend.... LOL

      Delete
  4. Good writing. Any parent should know that objectivism is a true challenge at times, especially when there is a risk for negative outcomes. That is why a doctor takes his/her kid to another doctor. The parents definitely did not understand the true meaning of problem-based learning.

    I must add that building on future scenarios, however probable, not facts, may be challenging, especially when it involves the most precious ones - the children. I guess my point is that nothing is more naive nor beautiful than parents' care for their childrens' future and well being at times :)

    PS. As you probably know, Mark, I agree with you. Things are not black and white, whenever they concern the parents and the children. My kids use the "evil" internet, and My wish is that "edtech" would be used in preliminary education as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to comment Ilkka. Yes, we are in agreement and I guess the importance is also enlightening parents to the idea that there are now other ways of learning than the way that they experienced themselves. Kiitos.

      Delete